If you are the main caregiver for your family member or a loved one, it can soon take a toll on your health. Providing round-the-clock care to a family member over a long period of time can increase the likelihood of experiencing a mental health condition known as burnout. Despite how exhausting the work may be, you may feel compelled to provide your loved ones with care out of love. At times, you may even be afraid to leave their side knowing the remorse you could feel. However, it is important for all caregivers to prioritize self-care. By having someone you trust to take over the care of your loved one, you’ll be able to take some time off for yourself. Explore the benefits of respite care for caregivers.
Defining Respite Care
According to sources, there are more than 54 million people providing unpaid care to a loved one in America. Respite care is defined as a temporary care arrangement for your parents or loved ones to relieve the primary caregiver from caregiving duties. There are a number of available options for respite care including assisted living, in-home care and adult day-care facilities.
The best thing about respite care is its flexibility, which enables you to find a plan that best suits your needs. If you work during the day or need to run errands, leaving your loved one in an adult day care center can ensure they are well looked after during the day. If you need to travel or have to be away for a period of time, leaving your loved ones in the nurturing hands of a senior living community is ideal. You can also receive brief moments of respite care during the day by asking another household member or friend to look after your loved ones. This is known as informal respite care.
Advantages of Respite Care
Respite care leads to positive change for both caregiver and recipient. Here are five proven benefits of respite care:
- Increased social interaction – When you look after a senior family member for so long, it is normal to lose touch with your surroundings. Finding a suitable form of respite care allows you to focus on rekindling your old relationships. You might even find the time to make new friends!
- Comfort of security – As your parents’ caregiver, you are likely to understand exactly what they need. A high quality respite care service can give you an equal level of comfort and leave you feeling that your parents’ care is in capable hands.
- Peace and relaxation – With freedom to do the things you want, you can spend more time on your hobbies re-establish your sense of identity.
- Sleep – Caregiving is a 24/7 responsibility. Finding a suitable respite care service for your loved ones will give you time to catch up on your sleep.
- Trial senior living communities – As your parents age, you may already be considering senior living for your loved ones. Respite care is an ideal way to see if they could enjoy such an experience.
It is difficult to manage daily life with the added responsibility of a parent who requires your care. As a caregiver, you may begin to lose your sense of identity as you struggle to manage so many commitments simultaneously.
If your loved one is looking to move into a senior living community, Veranda Club can provide a home away from home for your loved one. With our exclusive senior living programs and an assortment of accommodation sizes, your loved one will have a personalized care plan and you can be sure he or she will be given the highest quality of care. Call us at 561.565.6900 now!